Mike Tyson drops F-bomb live on NZ TV
Tuesday 2 Oct 2012 10:23 a.m.
Mike Tyson (Reuters file)
By 3 News online staff
Former world heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson has dropped the F-bomb live on breakfast television.
Tyson was being interviewed via phone on TVNZ’s Breakfast programme this morning when he took offence to a question on his prior conviction of raping an 18-year-old female.
“I didn't do the crime, I was set up, I don't care what people say. I didn't do that f**king crime,” he said.
The Breakfast hosts apologised immediately for the expletive, saying there is no delay of their live broadcast and they are unable to censor interviewees. A censored version of the interview is now available to watch on tvnz.co.nz.
Tyson is headlining a motivational speaking night in Auckland in November.
The 46-year-old was controversially granted a visa last month despite opposition from anti-rape groups.
Immigration New Zealand operations support manager Michael Carley said the special permission was issued under a section of the Immigration Act that allows exceptions to be given to a person who is not eligible for a visa.
Prime Minister John Key said this week he condemns violence against women but can see “both sides” of the Tyson visa debate.
3 News / NZN