Schwarzenegger's new Conan may be shot in New Zealand
Wednesday 16 Jan 2013 11:03 a.m.
Arnold Schwarzenegger as Conan the Barbarian
Universal’s new Conan the Barbarian sequel may be shot in New Zealand, according to star Arnold Schwarzenegger.
The Legend of Conan will be a sequel to the original 1982 film, picking up the characters where that film left off and ignoring the other sequels and reboot.
Speaking about the film recently while promoting The Last Stand, Schwarzenegger said it will be a "quality film with an A-director and with A-writers".
"One of the places they're looking very closely at right now is [Sir Peter] Jackson's studio in New Zealand," Schwarzenegger told AintItCool - see video below.
Flicks.co.nz picked up the story this morning, expressing excitement over the "inevitable brilliance of a photo op with our Prime Minister".
Although The Legend of Conan’s director and plot are yet to be announced, it is being produced by Fredrik Malmberg and written by Chris Morgan (The Fast and the Furious 5).
"The original ended with Arnold on the throne as a seasoned warrior, and this is the take of the film we will make," Malmberg previously stated of The Legend of Conan.
"It's that Nordic Viking mythic guy who has played the role of king, warrior, soldier and mercenary, and who has bedded more women than anyone, nearing the last cycle of his life. He knows he’ll be going to Valhalla, and wants to go out with a good battle."
The Legend of Conan will move into principle photography before the end of the year, according to Schwarzenegger.