NBR Rich List: New Zealand's wealthiest revealed
Graeme Hart remains New Zealand's richest person, according to the latest NBR Rich List.
The packaging and investment billionaire has an estimated wealth of around $7.5 billion, adding $500 million to his fortune in the last year.
The total wealth of the 200-plus Kiwis on the list totals more than $80 billion - up from $73 billion last year. The cutoff is $50 million.
"It's a showcase of success. We put our sports starts on a pedestal and celebrate their achievements, but not very often do our businessmen and women get their accolades," said NBR editor Duncan Bridgeman, adding that it's been a "boom time" for New Zealand's richest.
In second place is controversial tech entrepreneur Peter Thiel, worth $3.7 billion. MrThiel is the richest new entrant on the list. It was revealed earlier this year he became a New Zealand citizen after spending only 12 days in the country.
Other newcomers include toy entrepreneurs the Mowbray family, who made their fortune selling balloons, and a number of tech investors and funds managers.
Many of the newcomers would have made previous Rich Lists, but didn't because accurate estimates of their wealth weren't known.
Third-placed overall is the Todd family, with $3.5 billion made largely from the energy sector.
Former Prime Minister Sir John Key is still on the list, with $65 million.
NBR reporter Owen Poland said in a livestream announcing the list that many of those on it would rather not be.
The top 10 on the 2017 NBR Rich List
- Graeme Hart - $7.5 billion
- Peter Thiel - $7 billion
- Todd family - $3.5 billion
- Richard Chandler - $2 billion
- Erceg family - $1.65 billion
- Sir Michael Friedlander - $1.6 billion
- Goodman family - $1.475 billion
- Christopher Chandler - $1.4 billion
- Stephen Jennings - $1.1 billion
- Sir Michael Fay - $920 million
New entrants on the 2017 NBR Rich List
- Peter Thiel - $3.7 billion
- Soichchiro Fukutake - $1.4 billion
- Brendan Lindsay - $595 million
- Peter Harris - $210 million
- Michael Guthrie - $200 million
- Hutchison family - $200 million
- Hugh Jones - $155 million
- McPhail family - $150 million
- Murray Bolton - $142 million
- Chris Liddell - $120 million
- Mowbray family - $120 million
- Plaw family - $100 million
- Chris Heaslip - $56 million
- Carmel and Hugh Fisher - $55 million
- Sir Graeme Harrison - $55 million
- Elliot Crowther - $52 million
- Brian Fitzgerald - $50 million
- Murray Holdaway - $50 million
- Wendell Phillips - $50 million