Tourist told off after mistaking fire alarm for light

  • 30/12/2015
(Simon Wong/3 News)
(Simon Wong/3 News)

A tourist has been given a talking to after smashing the glass on a fire alarm at a South Island hostel and activating it thinking he was reaching for a light switch.

Two fire trucks were called out to the Youth Hostel Association building at Aoraki Mt Cook at about 10pm last night only to find no fire.

A Fire Service spokesman said the man, who was visiting from overseas, had smashed the glass and then activated the switch, later telling officers he had confused it with a light.

He said while it wasn't ideal to have two trucks called out by accident, it was being chalked up as an honest mistake.

NZN