An online poll set up by the Civil Defence shows Aucklanders are more selfless than they're sometimes given credit for -- or, at least, that's what they say about themselves.
Most respondents of the strawpoll -- which was running on the Auckland branch's website and social media -- said they would help others (58 percent) before heading out of town (42 percent) in a disaster.
However, that appears to be where the gallantry ends for Auckland residents -- 65 percent of those in New Zealand's most populated city said they would rather make a swift exit from their homes than locate and ensure the safety of their pets.
When quizzed over whether they would be more likely to go to an ATM or refuel their vehicle, 64 percent said they would do the latter -- while the remaining 36 percent said visiting a money machine was more of a priority.
The poll results come just four days after the Auckland Council announced that nearly half of Auckland residents would want to connect to Wi-Fi before finding water in an emergency.