Reddy: Key Crown witness questioned

Kamal Reddy (Supplied)
Kamal Reddy (Supplied)

A jury has heard about the moment police discovered bones at the place an undercover cop was allegedly led to by Kamal Reddy some time earlier.

Kamal Reddy, 42, denies murdering his former partner Pakeeza Yusuf and her young daughter Jojo in late 2006 or early 2007, and burying their bodies beneath a North Shore bridge.

Their bodies were discovered under the Takapuna Landing Bridge in October 2014 after following a six-month long undercover police operation.

Giving evidence today, Detective Kristjana Parkes said police began digging with shovels and came across what they believed to be bones.

A pathologist verified the remains as human.

Also today, lawyers for the man accused of murdering a woman and young girl nearly a decade ago begun questioning a key Crown witness.

The defendant’s uncle, Bal Naidu, yesterday told the court Reddy came to his house in the middle of the night asking for help on what to do with the bodies.

Naidu said he showed him a construction site in Takapuna in the early hours of the morning, but didn't tell police about it as Reddy threatened him not to.

The Defence -- which argues someone else is responsible for the killings -- has begun questioning Naidu about how well he knew Reddy.

Naidu himself was sentenced to 12 months home detention last year on charges of being an accessory after the fact to murder.

Defence lawyer Gary Gotlieb questioned whether Naidu had been able to actually see any bodies in Mr Reddy's car, saying it had tinted windows and Reddy often carried tools in the back.

"Everything was covered in a blanket and I couldn't see," Naidu said through an interpreter. "I didn't see anything beneath that, but he told me there was a body beneath that."

Mr Gotlieb then suggested Reddy had never said he had killed the pair, but found them dead, but Naidu denied this.

Naidu was last year sentenced to a year home detention after pleading guilty to being an accessory after the fact to murder.

He was asked if he had received a favourable sentence for the admission, but replied he had told the truth.

Naidu told the court he initially told police he had not met Reddy until about 2009, three years after the alleged killings in order to avoid incriminating himself.

The defence says a taped confession by Reddy to police was false and he was pressured into lying during repeated questioning by undercover officers he thought he could trust.

Although the details of the police sting can't be published, it can be reported that Reddy joined officers in a series of "simulated criminal scenarios" over a period of six months in 2014 that ended in the alleged admission.

The trial is expected to last for another week.


Newshub. / NZN