Auckland dangerous drivers to be targeted

  • 05/07/2016
Auckland dangerous drivers to be targeted

Auckland city will be the subject of a major dangerous driving crack down this Thursday.

Drivers using mobile phones, not wearing seatbelts, running red lights, speeding, and drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol will be targeted.

"Anyone driving dangerously can expect to be stopped anytime, anywhere.

"Our message to motorists is to think twice before you put yourself or others on the roads at risk," says the officer in charge of Thursday's operation Sergeant Tony Field.

Police will be spread throughout the city, focusing on the "crime corridors" that police have identified as problematic.

From 7pm until late, checkpoints, breath-testing and cameras will be used by police. Officers will also be working in areas where children are likely to be in cars to check for adequate restraints.

"Last year 92 deaths were associated with non-restraint use and that's 92 too many.

"Wearing your seatbelt is such an easy thing to do and they save lives - it's that simple," says Sergeant Field.

"We're committed to reducing road trauma and crashes in our city and an effective way of doing this is through prevention, education and enforcement."

More than 100 police officers will be involved in the prevention and enforcement road safety operation.