Auckland house fire claims dog's life

The dog was treated for smoke inhalation (NZ Fire Service)
The dog was treated for smoke inhalation (NZ Fire Service)

A Chihuahua seriously injured in a south Auckland house fire has died.

The house on Nikau Rd in Otahuhu, part of a block of six, was reported to be on fire around 7pm Wednesday.

When firefighters arrived they found the property well ablaze.

No humans were inside the house at the time, but the dog was found and treated for smoke inhalation.

It was taken to a vet shortly after, but later died.

Newshub.