Dome Valley trial: Crown details 'extreme' attack

  • 27/02/2017
Dome Valley attempted murder
Prosecutors say it's a miracle the 20-year-old victim survived (File)

After being kidnapped for the second time and subjected to a prolonged and "extreme" attack in an Auckland home, a 19-year-old woman had her skull repeatedly bashed in with a hammer before being left for dead on a remote dirt road, the Crown says.

Prosecutors on Monday told the High Court at Auckland it was "nothing short of a miracle" the now 20-year-old was found alive in Dome Valley in May, 2016.

Nicola Jones and Julie-Ann Torrance are standing trial for attempted murder, while Wayne Blackett pleaded guilty to the charge on Monday.

The three, along with Michelle Blom, also face a series of charges between them, including kidnapping, sexual violation, cutting the victim's hair and assaulting her during a prolonged attack in Auckland.

Opening the case for the prosecution on Monday, lawyer Henry Steele told the court Jones believed the victim had slept with her ex-boyfriend and had threatened to kill her in a text message in January, 2016.

"I'm going to kill her. I took her phone and the texts between them are unreal. So your daughter is history," Mr Steele said quoting the text to the victim's mother.

In the early hours of May 8, Jones, Torrance, Blom and Blackett spotted the victim working as a prostitute on central Auckland's Hereford Street, after they had left a meth-fuelled party, he said.

Jones pulled the victim off the street, bundled her into the car and took her to Blom's home on Great North Road.

There they stripped her naked, cut her hair, beat her, stomped on her hand to break her fingers, before putting a cricket wicket into her anus and then her mouth, Mr Steele told the jury.

"That can only be described as extreme."

He described how the victim was then tied up, dressed in overalls, and a day later thrown into the back of a ute - with Jones, Torrance and Blackett stopping for pies as they drove the woman to the Dome Valley.

There they smashed her skull at least seven times with a hammer, before trying to snap her neck and then leaving her on Waiwhiu Conical Peak Road, off State Highway 1, between Warkworth and Wellsford - where she was found the following morning by a passerby, Mr Steele said.

A fifth accused, Cameron Hakeke is charged with kidnapping, assault with a Taser, and aggravated robbery over a separate attack against the same victim on April 23, over which Jones and Torrance also face additional charges.

Mr Steele told the court during that earlier attack, Jones and Torrance got Hakeke to lure the victim to a home in Green Bay under the pretence of a meth deal, only to pin her down, repeatedly taser her, cut off her and and force her to sign over her car.

Drugs and prostitution would be re-occurring themes in the trial, he said.

"Quite clearly this isn't a run-in between Girl Guides."

The group dropped her off in the Bombay Hills and warned her not to return to Auckland, Mr Steele said.

A sixth accused in the case, Jaclyn Keates, was last year jailed for her part in the May attack.

The trial is expected to last four weeks.

NZN