Apple has rolled out its new iOS 11 udpate around the world.
The new operating system for iPhones and iPads is the biggest update to date.
So what do you need to know?
Firstly, iOS 11 will be supporting iPhones as far back as the iPhone 5S and newer.
The sixth-gen iPod Touch will also get it as well as all the Retina iPad minis (2, 3, and 4), the iPad Air (1 and 2), the new 9.7-inch iPad (2017), and every generation of iPad Pro released to date.
But before you hit that download button here are some things you need to do:
- Back up your device: There's nothing worse than having a glitch wipe all your content while updating.
- Power it up: You need more than 50 per cent of battery for a safe update. The best advice is to have your phone and/or iPad plugged into a power socket.
- Make room: You're going to need at least two gigabytes of data for the update. That means going through and deleting all those pointless videos and selfies as well as the apps you don't use.
- It's show time: But before that, make time. For this whole process you'll need about 30-45 minutes, so best not to update if you're in a rush.
So what's new with iOS 11?
Customise Control Center
- Go to Settings > Control Center to customise your iPhone or iPad for your preferences. Remove, add or rearrange priority items like your calculator and alarm for easy access.
- Drag an app out of the dock and use Slide Over or Split View to accomplish two things at once - like scrolling through the News app, while also typing a note in Messages.
Drag and Drop
- With drag and drop on iPad, use the power of Multi-Touch to quickly and easily move text, images, and files between apps and select multiple items with just a few taps. Soon, you may notice many of your favourite apps add this capability too!
- With the all-new Files app there's one central location to browse, search, and organise files that are stored on your iPad, in iCloud Drive, and even on other cloud services.
- Scan single or multiple-page documents with the new document scanner, which automatically finds the edges of your page from any angle and centers your document for the perfect crop. Add annotations to your document using Markup with Apple Pencil on iPad Pro, making it super easy to sign and return forms without having to print them out.
Instant Notes on iPad
- Need to jot something down quickly? Simply tap Apple Pencil on iPad Pro and open Notes instantly from the Lock Screen. Use the search tool to easily navigate your handwritten text, when you need to find specific notes.
Do Not Disturb while driving
- Eliminate all distractions while driving by automatically blocking notifications with the Do Not Disturb while driving feature.
- Navigate your way through major malls and airports with ease using Apple Maps' detailed indoor maps feature.
- Siri is the world's most popular intelligent assistant, helping you get more done throughout your day. With iOS 11, Siri has a new, more natural voice, can translate US English into Mandarin, French, German, Italian or Spanish, and offers more proactive suggestions based on personal usage.
Redesigned App Store
- The App Store is redesigned to make discovering apps and games easier than ever before. The Today tab offers in-depth features and interviews curated by the App Store's global team of editors to share the stories behind the apps and games that change the way we live and the developers whose ideas push and shape the world as we know it.
Do more with Photos
- Effects like Bounce, Loop and Long Exposure offer more options for editing Live Photos and capturing all of those special moments. Memories is enhanced with more memory types, better curation, and new portrait-oriented Memory Movies. People is easier to use, more accurate, and syncs across your devices via iCloud Photo Library.
Social Media Presenter Aziz Al-Sa'afin tells you what you need to know.
Watch the video for the full interview.