An illegal gin trap has left a kitten horrifically maimed and the NZ Cat Foundation is hunting for the person responsible
The trap was set in the Auckland suburb of Parnell and cost the baby cat its leg.
"Someone in the Heather Street area of Parnell has been setting gin traps, with the result this poor little kitten has had his leg chopped off," says NZ Cat Foundation chair Anne Batley-Burton.
A photo posted to Facebook shows the damage, as the poor creature recuperates on a towel, its front leg reduced to a stump.
Gin traps are banned in areas where a pet could be caught in them, but it's not just animals at risk of devastating injuries - young children could get caught in the traps too.
"This kind of behaviour must be stopped. Your pets nor your children are safe. Any information please contact me," Ms Batley-Burton says.