Napier cat owners warned of anti-freeze poisoning

Medium haired orange and white kitten looking at the camera
Photo credit: Getty

Napier pet owners have been warned to stay on high alert, with reports of cats dying after drinking anti-freeze.

Posting on the Napier News Facebook page, the SPCA has warned residents to keep an eye on their cats and contact a vet if they become ill.

The SPCA fears the anti-freeze is being used to deliberately poison cats, an offence under the Animal Welfare Act 1999.

If cats are being poisoned, the culprit could face up to five years in prison or a fine of up to $100,000.

The symptoms of anti-freeze poisoning are:

  • A cold temperature
  • Fast heart rate
  • Excessive thirst
  • Dehydration
  • Sluggishness
  • A limp body
  • Wobbliness
  • Kidney failure
  • Seizures

The SPCA asks anyone with information to contact them on (06) 835 7758.

Newshub.