Demolition of Statistics building begins

  • 27/12/2017
The demolition was expected to take about six weeks, a spokesman for owner CentrePort said.
The demolition was expected to take about six weeks, a spokesman for owner CentrePort said. Photo credit: Newshub.

The number's up for the Government's former statistics headquarters, with demolition kicking off on the quake-damaged Wellington building.

Work to bring down Statistics House - located on the city's waterfront - officially began on Wednesday morning.

The demolition was expected to take between two and three months, a spokesman for owner CentrePort said.

The magnitude 7.8 Kaikōura earthquake last year caused parts of the lower floors in the North West corner of the five-storey building to collapse, despite being more than 200 kilometres from the epicentre and only built in 2005.

In March, former Building and Construction Minister Nick Smith said the building's performance during the quake was unacceptable and could have caused fatalities.

In 2013, engineers discovered it had been damaged during that year's magnitude 6.5 Seddon earthquake, according to an independent report following the quake.

They found a critical issue with "seating" on the building's four corners and recommended it be retrofitted for safety with the upgrades being completed on level three - but not level four - by the time of the November quake.

CentrePort in October confirmed the building would be demolished.

"The demolition of the building will create space to increase the flexibility and efficiency of port operations," a spokesman said on Wednesday.

NZN