'Don't drink and fry': Sleeping man rescued from smoke-filled house

Neighbours were alerted by the sleeping man's blaring smoke alarm.
Neighbours were alerted by the sleeping man's blaring smoke alarm. Photo credit: Getty

The fire service is reminding people not to drink and fry after a man made a lucky escape in Christchurch on Saturday morning.

Emergency crews managed to drag a sleeping person out of a house, after neighbours heard smoke alarms blaring at around 3am on Wharenui Rd in Riccarton.

"We were able to get this person out of the house with no danger or injury," Fire Communications southern shift manager Brent Dunn says.

"But it could have been a lot worse... without a smoke alarm then he wouldn't have woken up with the smoke, the neighbours wouldn't have heard it and alerted us."

Mr Dunn says the whole house was filled with smoke upon arrival, but the person was still asleep.

"What it does highlight is our message of don't drink and fry, and just how dangerous it is to cook when you're having a few drinks."

Newshub.