The Auckland housing accord has so far delivered 23,806 homes consented and new sections created, the Government says.
After two years it's 1806 ahead of the 22,000 target.
Building and Housing Minister Nick Smith says it's freeing up land faster than expected.
"It's helping drive increasing momentum in residential construction," he said today.
Auckland Mayor Len Brown says the government and the council are going to "keep the foot on the accelerator".
The accord was signed on October 1, 2013, with a target of 39,000 new sections and homes over three years - 9000 in year one, 13,000 in year two and 17,000 in year three.
The Government and the council achieved 123 percent of the year one target and 98 percent of the year two target.