Joseph Parker fight not getting ratepayer funding - Council
Auckland Council's event promotion arm has rejected claims it will pump ratepayer money into Kiwi boxer Joseph Parker's WBO heavyweight title tilt next month.
Parker is expected to fight Mexican Andy Ruiz in Auckland on December 10 after reports the bout would be in the Kiwi fighter's home town.
Parker and Ruiz are expected to hold a joint press conference in Las Vegas on Saturday to officially make the announcement.
Despite the scale of the event, Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development chief executive Brett O'Riley said the council would not sponsor the fight.
"ATEED, on behalf of Auckland Council, will not be making a financial contribution to the world title boxing fight, which is expected to be held in Auckland in December," he said.
ATEED's comments come after Parker's promoters Duco Events last week withdrew their bid for the Government to part-fund the fight.
Duco Events co-owner David Higgins said the application to the New Zealand Major Events fund had created public division.
"We're not prepared to become pariahs in our own country just for the sake of getting some Government money," he said.
Parker, 24, holds an enviable career record of 21-0 after crushing 201cm Ukrainian Alexander Dimitrenko with a third-round TKO in Manukau early last month.