In a pop-up solution to the Auckland housing crisis, the Government will provide 43 emergency houses in Otahuhu.
Prime Minister Bill English opened the housing development on Tuesday at the 1.6ha Luke St, Otahuhu site, which in the future will be used for a school.
"Today, after only a few short months, we have the first families moving in," says Associate Housing Minister Alfred Ngaro."These three families had previously been living in motels and garages, and are now moving in to warm, safe places close to their children's schools and where they'll be supported for anywhere between 12 and 24 weeks before moving into more sustainable housing options."
In total, 43 houses will be built on the site - a mix of two-, three- and four-bedroom. When complete, around 210 people will be housed in the properties.
Three of the houses are already occupied, and nine are expected to be occupied in the next few weeks. Thirty-one houses will be completed in stages over the coming weeks, the Government says.
Former Social Housing Minister Paula Bennett said back in September the pop-up, moveable houses were "fast-stick builds".
"They're ones that are half-modular, so the walls and things are all pre-done off-site, so when they get on-site they're just putting the houses together as opposed to building it from scratch."