Hit and Run vs the Defence Force: What you need to know

  • 30/03/2017
NZDF
A New Zealand Defence Force soldier in Iraq (NZDF / Facebook)

The New Zealand Defence Force and authors Jon Stephenson and Nicky Hager in their book Hit and Run make a number of varying claims about what happened during Operation Burnham in Afghanistan in August 2010.

What was the raid called and when did it happen?

  • Both the NZDF and the book say the raid Operation Burnham was carried out in Afghanistan on August 22, 2010

Where did it take place?

  • The NZDF says the raid took place in the village of Tirgiran in Baghlan Province
  • The book alleges the raids occurred 2km north in the villages of Naik and Khak Khuday Dad
  • Hager and Stephenson have since conceded the NZDF might be right about the location of the raids, but claim the village names are correct

What was the basis?

  • Both the NZDF and the book say the raid targeted Taliban insurgent leaders responsible for the death of Lieutenant Tim O'Donnell, who was killed by a roadside bomb in nearby Bamyan Province
  • The NZDF says it was based on sound intelligence
  • The book claims forces were not sure the intelligence was reliable

Was it revenge?

  • The New Zealand Defence Force says the raid was not revenge
  • The book claims the raid was in retaliation for Lt O'Donnell's death

Who was involved?

  • SAS ground forces were supported by coalition air forces, under the command of a New Zealand SAS commander
  • The book claims SAS ground forces were supported by local Afghan forces and two US Apache helicopter helicopters, under the command of the SAS

Were insurgents killed?

  • The NZDF says nine insurgents were killed
  • The book claims no insurgents were killed

Were civilians killed?

  • The NZDF admits there may have been civilian casualties when a gun misfired, shots fell short and hit a building where there were known insurgents and possible civilians
  • Locals told an Afghan governor six civilians had been killed - four adult males, an adult female and a six-year-old girl
  • The book claims six civilians were killed - five men and a three-year-old girl. It also says 15 were wounded

How did the deaths occur?

  • The NZDF says ground forces fired two single rounds, both hitting and killing one insurgent. Air forces targeted insurgents on the ground, killing eight
  • The book claims four civilians were killed by aircraft fire and two were killed by NZ SAS ground forces

How were homes destroyed in the raids?

  • The NZDF says two dwellings caught fire while weapons and ammunition including rocket propelled grenades found during a search were being destroyed outside
  • The book claims the houses were deliberately destroyed, including being targeted by rockets

How is the operation outcome regarded?

  • Defence Force Chief Lieutenant General Tim Keating says the conduct of Kiwi forces was "exemplary"
  • The book claims then defence minister Wayne Mapp described the operation to a friend as a "fiasco"
  • Dr Mapp has not denied the comment, later saying "one of the disasters of war is these terrible things can happen"

Does there need to be an inquiry?

  • Lt-Gen Keating says he has no personal problem with an inquiry but "legally it would be a bit of a challenge" to convince people to give evidence
  • The book claims a full and independent inquiry is necessary to determine exactly what occurred and the extent of any cover-up
  • Demand for an inquiry has been supported by Deborah Manning - a lawyer representing the Afghan villagers
  • Prime Minister Bill English says he won't be rushed into an inquiry
  • Dr Mapp says there does not necessarily need to be an independent inquiry.

NZN

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Viber Share to WhatsApp Share to Email