Four new Auckland schools to be built, Government announces

Nikki Kaye with Papakura school students
(Nikki Kaye / Facebook)

The Government says it's going to use $240 million allocated in last week's budget to construct four new schools in Auckland and expand others.

Education Minister Nikki Kaye on Thursday outlined the Government's plan for money set aside for investment in Auckland school property.

"The $240m will deliver four new schools, one major school expansion, the relocation of two special education schools, new roll growth and replacement classrooms and additional special education satellite units," she said.

The new projects include:

  • Three new primary schools in the Pukekohe-Belmont, Orewa and Drury areas - catering to a total of about 1100 students
  • A new kura in Manurewa to house Te Kura Kaupapa Maoro o Manurewa
  • The relocation of both Carlson and Sunnydene special education schools to a new joint site
  • An expansion of Stonefields School to about 450 students

The package would also put up about $87m to build 170 new classrooms across the city and $9m for new special education satellite units.

"This latest package will provide a further 4000 student places on top of the 17,000 already announced, which means we're now on-track to deliver an extra 21,000 student places in Auckland by 2021," Ms Kaye said.

Further announcements about school property investments would be made in further weeks, she said.

In May Labour slammed the Government as "way behind" on education spending, with some schools so overcrowded children were learning in halls and former dental clinics.

In 2014, the Government announced $350 million for new classrooms and schools in Auckland, to be spent over four years.

By early 2017 it had spent only $107 million of that. The figures were confirmed in Parliamentary Questions in March.

When answering the question in Parliament, then-Associate Education Minister Nikki Kaye said the Ministry had spent approximately $107 million of the $350 million earmarked for overcrowded Auckland schools - but she said a total of $300 million had been "committed to projects".

"In 2014, we announced an accelerated growth programme aimed at building nine new schools and additional classrooms to deliver an extra 17,000 student places in Auckland by 2019," Nikke Kaye said in a statement on Thursday.

"So far, more than 8,000 of these additional student places have been delivered. The remaining places are all at various stages of delivery, from planning or design through to consenting and construction, and will be delivered by 2019."

"We have now also announced all nine of the new schools pledged in 2014, with the additional four schools announced today adding to new primary schools in Hingaia South, Kumeu, Scott Point, Flat Bush South East and Ormiston Junior College."

NZN / Newshub.

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Viber Share to WhatsApp Share to Email