New Zealand's Foreign Minister has called North Korea's latest long-range missile test "completely unacceptable".
The launch late on Friday night (local time) added to worries in the United States, South Korea and Japan over Pyongyang's continuing development of nuclear weapons and intercontinental ballistic missiles.
New Zealand Foreign Minister Gerry Brownlee on Saturday (NZT) denounced the test.
"I'm deeply concerned that North Korea continues to flout its obligations to the international community by testing these missiles - it's completely unacceptable," he said in a statement.
"New Zealand would encourage North Korea to look at the plight of its people, who are living in less than advantaged circumstances, while the regime spends millions of dollars on its weaponisation programme."
Mr Brownlee said he had spoken earlier in the week with his South Korean counterpart, Kang Kyung-wha, about the threat.
US President Donald Trump earlier condemned the launch as "only the latest reckless and dangerous action by the North Korean regime."
Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said the missile flew for about 45 minutes before apparently landing in the waters of Japan's exclusive economic zone, Reuters reports.