Debris on Malaysian coast not from MH370

  • 30/01/2016
Malaysia's Prime Minister Najib Razak (C) with Minister for Transport Liow Tiong Lai (R) (Reuters)
Malaysia's Prime Minister Najib Razak (C) with Minister for Transport Liow Tiong Lai (R) (Reuters)

Aviation officials say a metal object recovered from Malaysia's east coast is not from missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.

It was the second time in a week authorities have dismissed speculation that wreckage from the jet had been found, after a similar piece of ocean debris recovered from a beach in Southern Thailand on January 23 proved not to be from MH370.

Malaysia's transport minister Liow Tiong Lai said on Friday  (local time) that the two-metre-long object found in the eastern state of Terengganu on Thursday had been examined by officials from the ministry, the Department of Civil Aviation and Malaysia Airlines.

"The assessment found that the debris does not match those of a Boeing 777, thus confirming that the debris is not from MH370," he said in a statement.

Flight MH370 disappeared with 239 people, including two New Zealanders, on board on its way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing in March 2014.

NZN