New Zealand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) is checking if any New Zealanders have been caught up in a wave of terrorist attacks in Paris.
At least 140 people have been killed in shootings and explosions around Paris, many of them in a popular concert hall where 100 patrons have reportedly been taken hostage, agencies report.
MFAT says the New Zealand Embassy in Paris is seeking information on the nationalities of victims and is liaising with local authorities.
"There is currently no confirmed information on nationalities of victims," MFAT says.
There are 249 New Zealanders registered as being in France.
Duncan Sheffield, a New Zealander living in Paris posted on the New Zealanders in France Facebook page "sent home by police as shooting happening at the end of our street, rue Bichat. 2 other shootings at Bataclan and near Bastille. Stay home & watch the news where it's safe. Gunmen are on the run."
A police official says 11 people have been killed in a Paris restaurant, while at least twice that number died elsewhere, primarily in the Bataclan concert hall in eastern Paris.
Also late Friday (Paris time), two explosions were heard outside the Stade de France stadium north of Paris during a France-Germany friendly football match.
France 24 television said President Francois Hollande had been at the Stade de France at the time of the attacks, and was rushed from the area.
He has called an emergency cabinet meeting in Paris.
US security officials believe the series of attacks were likely co-ordinated, based on initial reports.