Turkey disables bomb in Kurdish region

  • 18/03/2016
Demonstrators rally after a suicide bomb in Turkey earlier this week (Reuters)
Demonstrators rally after a suicide bomb in Turkey earlier this week (Reuters)

Bomb-disposal experts have disabled an explosive device found in a vehicle in southeast Turkey, days after 37 people were killed in a blast in Ankara.

The vehicle was found with 150kg of explosives in the town of Hani in the mainly Kurdish region's Diyarbakir province, security sources said.

Police were examining security cameras in the area as part of the investigation.

Kurdish militants on Thursday (local time) claimed a suicide bombing in Ankara that killed 37 people this week and warned of more attacks, while Germany shut down its diplomatic missions and schools in Turkey.

The US embassy in Ankara issued a statement overnight saying its citizens "should be mindful of their security precautions", noting Kurdish New Year (Newroz) celebrations taking place this weekend and saying large events can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.

"The US Embassy also reminds individuals that terrorist organisations have targeted transportation hubs, Turkish government facilities, and public spaces in the recent past," it said.

Last Sunday's suicide bombing was the second in a month in the heart of Ankara claimed by the TAK militant group, opening a dangerous new phase in Turkey's war with Kurdish militants as deadly attacks spread to its biggest cities well beyond the southeast where conflict is usually focused.

AAP