Aus hospital worker stood down after baby death

Stethoscope listening to a baby's heart beat

A hospital worker has been stood down over the medical gas error that led to death of a baby at a Sydney hospital.

The newborn was given nitrous oxide, known as laughing gas, instead of oxygen.

Another baby was left critically injured after the same mix-up.

An oxygen machine in one of the hospital's theatres was incorrectly installed and certified by a gas supplier a year ago.

In an interim report the state's chief health officer Dr Kerry Chant said the gas supplier will share responsibility for the tragedy.

A hospital engineer involved in the commissioning of the gas outlet has been stood down.

The NSW Health Minister has personally apologized to the families involved and has promised compensation.

Newshub.