Safety inspectors have started the meticulous task of scrutinising the rides and attractions at all Queensland theme parks.
But the Australian Workers Union is questioning why a safety blitz wasn't carried out before the deaths of four people last week.
The uncertainty doesn't appear to be deterring Kiwis though. At New Zealand's biggest theme park, dozens queued for a Sunday full of fun.
At Australia's largest park, there was nobody. Dreamworld remains closed as safety inspectors check over every ride with a fine-tooth comb.
"We owe it to everyone to make sure that our audits are done thoroughly and up-to-date," said Queensland Industrial Relations Minister Grace Grace.
Inspections were not just at Dreamworld, where four people, including Kiwi Cindy Low, were killed on Tuesday, but also Movie World, Sea World, Wet 'n' Wild and other popular Aussie attractions.
"We know we have a big job to do to rebuild trust in the community and for our guests, and we're working hard on that," said Dreamworld CEO Craig Davidson.
WorkSafe New Zealand says it's not planning a similar blitz here, essentially because we don't need one. All our rides are registered and require certification every two years by a specialised external engineer.
The safety record at Rainbow's End is relatively clean. There was a scare last year when a rollercoaster stopped mid-air after a power surge, and back in 2008 a worker died when he became trapped while cleaning the Ferris wheel. The park was closed for two days after that.
Dreamworld had hoped to open three days after its tragedy - a plan quickly dismissed by authorities.
"We'll update on the park reopening as soon as we can. We are being sensitive to the families and their funeral arrangements," said Mr Davidson.
Following criticism over its handling of the incident, Dreamworld has appointed a retired police officer to advise on the community recovery process.