Dreamworld boss to donate part of bonus to charity

  • 27/10/2016
Deborah Thomas (Getty)
Deborah Thomas (Getty)

Dreamworld's under-fire boss has pledged to donate part of her bonus to charity, after she was awarded it only two days after the theme park's fatal accident.

"I will be making a personal donation of AU$167,500, which comprises my entire cash bonus, to the Australian Red Cross via the Dreamworld memorial day event," Ardent Leisure chief executive Deborah Thomas said on Thursday evening.

The cash bonus is part of her entire bonus of AU$843,000 (NZ$894,925) to be paid over four years.

"Red Cross will ensure 100 percent is directed to support people affected by this tragic event," she said.

"I have been deeply affected and saddened by the tragic deaths of Kate Goodchild, Luke Dorsett, Roozbeh Araghi, and Cindy Low at Dreamworld on Tuesday, in particular the impact of this incident on their children and families."

Earlier on Thursday shareholders of Ardent had expressed dismay that company bonuses were approved days after the fatal accident.

"I would have preferred there to be no discussion of any bonuses today," shareholder Steve O'Reilly told AAP.

"My preference would have been for it to be postponed because we're standing here only two days after the tragedy."

Ardent chairman Neil Balnaves said shareholder proxy votes were submitted before the tragedy occurred and that it was impossible to retake them.

"I think the company has to be run. The coronial inquiry and the workplace health and safety inquiry under the Queensland government and our own internal inquiries take months," he said.

Mr Balnaves said the company bonuses were for the previous financial year.

NZN / Newshub.