Woman almost blinded after home eyebrow tint mishap

Tyla Jae Durie before an allergic reaction
Tyla Jae Durie before the reaction (Facebook)

A young Australian woman is warning others to patch test hair dyes after being left with an horrific allergic reaction which almost left her blind.

Tylah Jae Durie, 16, posted on Facebook about the "unexplainable pain" she went through after tinting her eyelashes and eyebrows with a home dye kit.

The beauty student initially noticed her eyebrows beginning to itch and burn just 30 minutes after applying 1000 Hour's Eyelash and Brow Dye kit.

She was having "a very unusual but severe" reaction to Paraphenylenediamine (PPD), according to her doctors. PPD is the chemical substance which darkens hair in dyes and in the ink used for henna tattoos.

girl has allergic reaction to dye
(Facebook)

Without patch testing the dye first, she was unaware of the reaction.

Tylah wrote on Facebook that following the reaction, she had "puss and tears coming out of my eyes 24/7".

"I have chemical burns on both my eyebrows and I couldn't see out of my eyes because of the swelling."

(Facebook)
(Facebook)

Doctors said she could have gone permanently blind had the allergy not been treated in time.

"Luckily, I only have a few lumps of damage on my right eyeball" she wrote.

"I made a mistake and I'm trying to protect others."

Most home dye kits warn users to patch test the product on another patch of skin 24 hours before using.

Newshub.