Turkish boy's leg swallowed by escalator

A nine-year-old boy has somehow escaped with just a minor foot injury after his leg became trapped in an escalator in Istanbul.

CCTV footage of the alarming incident shows the child running up an escalator heading in the opposite direction, before suddenly buckling when his foot becomes trapped in one of its steps.

However the most startling moment came when the escalator started sliding down towards its base - and when it gets to where the boy's foot is, the escalator stops.

People immediately realise something is wrong and start running from different directions in an attempt to help the distressed child, whose entire leg appears to have been swallowed up by the machinery by this point.

While the video cuts out at that moment, local media report that he was able to be freed after firefighters attended the scene with a circular saw.

The boy, who has not been identified, is said to be fine barring minor injuries.

Turkish police are now investigating how the incident occurred.

Newshub.