'Don't let people kiss your baby' - parents after baby dies from fatal virus

Nicole and Shane Sifrit with baby Mariana.
Nicole and Shane Sifrit with baby Mariana. Photo credit: Facebook

Two parents in the United States have warned other parents of new-born babies to be careful about who comes into contact with them in the first weeks of their lives.

The warning comes after Shane and Nicole Sifrit's daughter Mariana contracted a virus that later killed the 18-day-old baby girl, according to CBS.

Little Mariana was diagnosed with viral meningitis, which later caused her to contract herpes.

Both parents, from Iowa, tested negative for any trace of symptoms or the virus, meaning their daughter would have caught the virus from someone else.

"Don't let just anyone come visit them. Make sure they are constantly washing their hands," she told WHO TV.

"Don't let people kiss your baby and make sure they ask before they pick up your baby."

Mariana's condition deteriorated rapidly a week after her birth after she stopped eating and became unresponsive, forcing the couple to leave their own wedding early to take her to hospital.

"It immediately went downhill from there," her father said. 

"Within two hours she had quit breathing and all of her organs just started to fail. I always thought this stuff happens and it's a shame and never thought it would happen to me. I was not prepared at all."

However on Wednesday morning (NZ Time) Mariana passed away in the arms of her parents and after a three week battle.

"She is now no longer suffering and is with the Lord. Thank you to everyone who has followed her journey and supported us through this," Nicole Sifrit posted to Facebook.

"In her 18 days of life she made a huge impact on the world and we hope with Mariana's Story we save numerous new-borns."

Newshub.