Grenfell Tower survivor diagnosed with cyanide poisoning

One month on from the Grenfell Tower fire that took more than 80 lives, it's been revealed a survivor was diagnosed with cyanide poisoning.

Medical discharge papers show 12-year-old Luana Gomes was treated for the effects caused by the toxic gas, as well as smoke inhalation.

It comes only weeks after suggestions the burning cladding on the block may have released the fumes.

Luana, her mother and her sister were all placed in medically induced comas after the fire, which left the 24-storey building nothing but a shell.

The girl's mother, Andreia, was seven months pregnant when the building burned down in the middle of the night. She has since lost the baby.

Andreia and Luana's sister were also treated for poisoning as a precaution.

Clinical toxicologist and emergency critical care consultant Dr Johann Grundlingh told the BBC cyanide poisoning could cause near-instant death.

"You could die within seconds depending on the level of exposure", he said.

Newshub.