A group of tourists took selfies with a stranded dolphin on Spain's southeastern coast, causing it to become stressed and die according to an animal welfare organisation.
Children and adults were touching the dolphin cub and covering its blowhole during the incident last weekend at Mojácar beach.
The dolphin was believed to have been sick or stranded from its mother, and animal welfare staff had been called out to rescue it but the animal was dead once they arrived.
Animal welfare group Equinac said in a statement that cetaceans are very susceptible to stress, and touching "causes them a very strong shock".
"The animal was subjected to the curious who wanted to photograph and touch it," the statement said. It's believed that the dolphin went into a severe state of shock that triggered heart failure.
An Equinac spokesperson said "the true cause of death of this tiny dolphin is human selfishness" and the human being is "the most irrational creature on earth".
"Let us remind everyone that these animals are highly protected; to disturb them, to harm them and to manipulate them is prohibited by law, and we always ask for respect and consideration."