A dispute has erupted between US President Donald Trump and the family of a US soldier who died in Afghanistan over a cheque for US$25,000 (NZD$35,000).
Army Corporal Dillon Baldridge was killed when he was shot by an Afghani police officer in a suspected inside attack on June 10 this year.
Following his death, President Trump made a call to the father of Mr Baldridge in late June offering his condolences, a personal cheque, and the promise that White House staff would start a fundraiser to support the family.
According to CBS News, Mr Baldridge only received a letter from the White House.
"I opened it up and read it, and I was hoping to see a check in there, to be honest," he said.
"I know it was kind of far-fetched thinking. But I was like, 'Damn, no check.' Just a letter saying 'I'm sorry.'"
It has been reported the offer of money came after it was determined Mr Baldridge's ex-wife would receive a US$100,000 (NZD $140,000) death gratuity pay-out from the US Government because she was listed as Dillion's beneficiary.
"[President Trump] said, 'I'm going to write you a check out of my personal account for [NZD$35,000],' and I was just floored," Mr Baldridge said, quoting Mr Trump.
"I could not believe he was saying that, and I wish I had it recorded because the man did say this. He said, 'No other president has ever done something like this,' but he said, 'I'm going to do it.'"
The White House has responded to that claim saying, "the [cheque] has been sent."
"It's disgusting that the media is taking something that should be recognised as a generous and sincere gesture, made privately by the President, and using it to advance the media's biased agenda," Deputy Press Secretary Lindsay Walters argued.
The claim comes after US President Donald Trump allegedly told the widow of another soldier recently killed in an ambush in Niger that her husband "knew what he signed up for."
Sergeant La David Johnson was among four servicemen killed in the African nation of Niger earlier this month.