Fish stuck in man's throat in prank gone wrong

Dover Sole.
Dover Sole. Photo credit: Getty

A man nearly died after a fish became lodged in his throat in a joke gone wrong.

The 28-year-old man was fishing in Dorset, England, when he decided to hold the 14 cm freshly caught fish over his mouth, reports the Guardian. The fish broke free and became lodged in the man's throat.

Upon arrival, paramedic Matt Harrison could see the patient had a blocked airway and was in cardiac arrest - but had to be careful not to make the situation worse.

"If I lost grip or a piece broke off and it slid further out of sight, then there was nothing more that we could have done to retrieve the obstruction," he told the Guardian.

"Eventually after six attempts the fish came out in one piece and to our amazement it was a whole Dover sole."

Mr Harrison says it was one of his most memorable rescues, and he as relieved the patient was okay.

"I have never attended a more bizarre incident and don't think I ever will, but we're all so glad the patient has no lasting effects from his cardiac arrest."

Newshub.