Mandate to restore basics to Manus Island detainees rejected

A Papua New Guinea court has rejected an application to restore water, power and food to the asylum seekers at the Manus detention centre.

There is an unfolding humanitarian crisis on Manus Island, where 600 people have barricaded themselves inside a mothballed detention centre fearing they'll be attacked if they leave.

The denial of basic necessities comes just a week after authorities walked away from the centre - and advocates for the former detainees say the health crisis there has now worsened.

Australian lawyers had been arguing for a court to mandate better treatment towards them, but that was this afternoon rejected.

Farhad Rahmati, one of the hundreds trapped on Manus Island, told Newshub on Monday the health problems were bad; one person collapsed with a heart condition, another suffered a kidney problem and many have diarrhoea as they drink rainwater and dirty well water, he said.

Meanwhile Papua New Guinea's immigration minister Petrus Thomas said it would "very much appreciate New Zealand's assistance", stating "it's Australia's responsibility to settle the detainees in a third country."

Australia's opposition agrees that our offer to take 150 refugees should be taken up, but it has been rejected.

"We thank New Zealand for making this offer, but we are not taking it up at this time," Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says the offer is still on the table, but she won't bypass Australia to speak with Papua New Guinea directly.

Newshub.