Man dies after being sucked into MRI machine

Rajesh Maru, 32, was accompanying an elderly relative for an MRI scan when he was sucked into the machine.
Rajesh Maru, 32, was accompanying an elderly relative for an MRI scan when he was sucked into the machine. Photo credit: Twitter

A man has died after being sucked into an MRI machine at Mumbai hospital.

Rajesh Maru, 32, was accompanying an elderly relative for an MRI scan at the BYL Nair Charitable Hospital when a ward assistant asked him to take an oxygen cylinder inside the MRI room.

While metal objects like the oxygen cylinder aren't allowed inside the MRI room, the ward assistant ensured Mr Maru it would be safe because the MRI machine was turned off.

"As soon as Rajesh entered with the cylinder, it turned out that the machine was on," relative Mr Solanki, whose mother was the patient, told NDTV.

Witnesses report that the MRI machine's magnetic field pulled the cylinder and Mr Maru into the machine.

His hand got stuck in the machine, triggering a major oxygen leak.

Mr Solanki and the ward assistants pulled Mr Maru out of the machine but his body was swollen and bleeding.

He was rushed to the emergency room but died less than 10 minutes later.

Mr Maru's family say this is a case of massive negligence.

"It's because of their carelessness that Rajesh died," Mr Solanki told NDTV.

"He said that the machine was switched off. The doctor as well as the technician didn't say anything."

Both the hospital and local police are investigating the incident.

One doctor and a ward assistant have been arrested.

Newshub.