JJ murder jury to resume deliberations
Wednesday 14 Nov 2012 5:22 a.m.
JJ Ruhe Lawrence died on November 14 last year (file)
One year to the day after JJ Ruhe Lawrence died at his east Auckland home, a High Court jury will begin its second day of deliberations into whether his stepfather murdered him.
Jurors at the High Court in Auckland are considering whether Joel Loffley, 29, murdered JJ, who died at his home in Orakei, east Auckland, on November 14 last year.
The jury retired about 2pm yesterday after Justice Patrick Keane summed up the trial, which is now into its third week.
They are due to resume deliberations today.
The Crown alleges that Loffley struck JJ with such force it was as if he had been hit with a hammer, a blow which split his liver and pancreas in half.
Loffley's lawyer Roger Chambers said the Crown had not provided clear and compelling evidence that Loffley had killed JJ.
Justice Keane told jurors when summing up the case yesterday that emotions were understandable with the death of a two-year-old but they can't be swayed by them and must decide the case on the evidence presented.