Name suppression lifted for Shalvin Prasad accused
Name suppression has been lifted for one of two men charged with murdering 21-year-old Shalvin Prasad.
Shivneel Shahil Kumar, 18, appeared in the Manukau District Court this morning along with his co-accused, a 20-year-old man whose name is still suppressed.
Image suppression remains in place for both accused.
The pair were jointly charged with Mr Prasad’s murder after his burnt body was discovered by a member of the public in the south Auckland suburb of Kingseat last month.
All other details of their appearance this morning were suppressed.
Mr Prasad's brother, Pravin Prasad, said his brother's death had torn the family apart.
"It's just so surreal," he said. "Sometimes I think he'll come home after work, but I now realise he won't."
Mr Prasad withdrew tens of thousands of dollars before he disappeared on January 30. His body was discovered on fire at 6:30am on January 31 by a member of the public, about 5m back from McRobbie Road.
source: newshub archive