Survey shows support for Bain compensation bid
Friday 28 Dec 2012 8:34 a.m.
David Bain (AAP)
Most New Zealanders want David Bain to be given compensation, a survey has found.
Of those surveyed in the Herald-DigiPoll, 74 percent said Mr Bain, who was once convicted of murdering his family, should be offered payment.
Only 20 percent of the 500 people surveyed said Mr Bain shouldn't be entitled to any funds.
In 1995 Bain was convicted of murdering his parents and three siblings, but was acquitted at a retrial in 2009.
Earlier this month, former Canadian Supreme Court judge Ian Binnie recommended Mr Bain should be compensated for wrongful conviction and 13 years in jail, concluding that on the balance of probabilities he didn't murder his family in Dunedin in 1994.
However, the government later shelved the report, with Justice Minister Judith Collins saying that it would not stand up to scrutiny.She says Mr Binnie was "markedly generous" to Mr Bain, excluded significant evidence and took a not guilty verdict as essentially proving innocence.
Ms Collins says there will have to be another report but she hasn't made any decisions about that.
She told the New Zealand Herald whatever decision was made on compensation would upset some people.
The Herald-DigiPoll was started on December 7 before Mr Binnie's report was made public.