More aid for the Philippines announced

  • 21/12/2012

New Zealand is giving the Philippines an additional $1.5 million to help it recover from Typhoon Bopha.

The typhoon hit the Philippines two weeks ago and Foreign Minister Murray McCully says the death toll stands at 1050 with 838 people still missing.

"Bopha affected 6.2 million people in 34 provinces, destroying thousands of homes and livelihoods," he said on Friday.

"New Zealand will be making an additional $1.5 million available to support relief and early recovery efforts, taking our support so far to $2m."

The government earlier provided $500,000 to the International Red Cross for essential relief items.

Earlier on Friday Mr McCully announced more emergency supplies were on the way to Samoa and Fiji, which were ravaged by Hurricane Evan.

NZN

source: newshub archive


Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Viber Share to WhatsApp Share to Email