MSD boss works to restore confidence
Wednesday 28 Nov 2012 11:40 a.m.
A report into the WINZ kiosk privacy breaches blames Ministry of Social Development staff
The Ministry of Social Development (MSD) is bracing itself for more Deloitte's review findings following a security breach at Work and Income's public kiosks.
MSD chief executive Brendan Boyle told Parliament's social services committee today the second phase of Deloitte's review was nearing completion and would no doubt point to more room for improvement.
"Ahead of that we are already strengthening many of our policies and practices and are finding new ways of keeping information safe.
"I'm determined that we will learn from it as an organisation," he said.
The organisation also had to be careful not to become too averse to risk.
Earlier this month Mr Boyle released a Deloitte report into the mid-October breach when blogger Keith Ng and his associate Ira Bailey accessed confidential data covering thousands of the agency's clients.
The inquiry found the breach occurred because insufficient work was done to ensure the security of the system when it was designed and installed.
Mr Boyle apologised at the time and said MSD had failed to separate public kiosks from a network containing corporate files.
He said that people would be held accountable for the breach.
Mr Boyle said today that public confidence in the ministry was compromised in a way that should never have happened.
He said it would take a bit of time to rebuild confidence.