Smokers, sick and students face changes
Tuesday 1 Jan 2013 8:11 a.m.
The typical price of a packet of 20 cigarettes is now $16
Smokers, the sick and some students will be hit in the back pocket as a raft of law changes take effect from January 1.
The key changes:
* prescription charges rise from $3 to $5
* tobacco tax goes up 10 percent - the typical price of a packet of 20 cigarettes is now $16
* student allowances are no longer payable to postgraduate study starting on or after January 1 (except Bachelor degrees with honours)
* some workers sleeping over must now be paid minimum wage levels at least
* student loan borrowers must provide NZ contact person
* whooping cough vaccine available nationwide to pregnant women
* the sound compression on television advertisements is reduced, to make them quieter
* NZ officially withdraws from the Kyoto Protocol - it will now make voluntary pledges
* Plain English rules come into effect for investment documents