Breakers give Webster another chance
Former New Zealand Breakers guard Corey Webster has been given a basketball lifeline by being added to the club's roster for the upcoming Australian NBL season.
Webster received a 12-month ban from the Australian Sports Commission and was cut by the Breakers last year after a second doping violation.
Club general manager Richard Clarke says the 23-year-old Tall Black has responded positively to his time away from the game.
"We are proud of how he has reacted to what could have been a career-defining obstacle," Clarke said on Friday.
"He has earned back his opportunity to be a Breaker again."
Coach Andrej Lemanis said he was looking forward to having the "new" Webster back in the squad.
Lemanis, who is seeking to take the Breakers to a third successive title, said other ANBL teams were chasing Webster, but the player wanted to return and put things right.
Webster said he was looking to repay the club's faith in giving him a another chance.
"This means everything to me," he said.
"I know what it was to have it taken away and that was very painful."
He is aware he still has to earn his teammates' respect and to prove he has made the right changes.
Webster spent part of his suspension stacking supermarket shelves.
He also had two months in China working under former Australian Boomers coach Brian Goorjian.
His signing completes the Breakers' full-time roster and he comes in for BJ Anthony in one of two changes from last season.
The other is the addition of former Gold Coast forward Will Hudson for popular centre Gary Wilkinson.
Hudson joins point guard Cedric Jackson as the two American imports on the roster.
New Zealand Breakers squad: Cedric Jackson, Corey Webster, Daryl Corletto, CJ Bruton, Tom Abercrombie, Leon Henry, Mika Vukona, Dillon Boucher, Will Hudson, Alex Pledger.
source: newshub archive