Brisbane Broncos set to throw Benji Marshall a career lifeline
Wednesday 19 Oct 2016 6:27 a.m.
Benji Marshall (Getty Images)
Benji Marshall is reportedly set to be thrown a lifeline by Brisbane as the veteran playmaker seeks an NRL swan song.
The former St George Illawarra half is poised to sign a one-year deal with the Broncos, Channel Seven reported.
The 31-year-old earlier in the year knocked back a $A300,000 ($NZ320,000) offer from the Dragons before falling out of favour after a lacklustre 2016.
He was dropped for the penultimate game of the season by coach Paul McGregor and appeared set to be without a club for 2017 before the likely cut-price deal tabled by the Broncos under coach Wayne Bennett.
The former New Zealand Test pivot has a long association with the master coach, having played under him with the NRL All Stars and they were both a part of the Kiwis' 2008 World Cup win.
If he does ink a deal with the Broncos, he is likely to play most of the year in the Queensland Cup with the Broncos boasting quality halves in Anthony Milford and Ben Hunt.
However, Marshall would give them much-needed depth, especially with both Hunt and Milford on the cusp of State of Origin representation with Queensland next year, especially if Johnathan Thurston, Cooper Cronk and Michael Morgan suffer injury.
Marshall's manager Mario Tartak last week said he was in discussions with three Sydney clubs.
Marshall also took to Instagram to apologise to Dragons fans for their lack of success during 2016.
"I am personally sorry for the results on the field this year and the part I played in that," Marshall said.
"But I'm glad I could be a part of last year's team in making the finals for the first time in four years which was a highlight for me."