Dotcom to launch Megabox on raid anniversary
Monday 29 Oct 2012 8:25 a.m.
Kim Dotcom's Megaupload was shut down in January
By 3 News online staff
Kim Dotcom's new business venture, Megabox, will launch on the anniversary of the raid on his mansion in January.
This morning Dotcom set up a Facebook page for the new site, and over the weekend said it would go live on January 19, 2013.
The raid on the Coatesville property he rents happened on the morning of January 20 this year, or January 19 in most of the rest of the world.
Dotcom posted an aerial photo of the mansion on Megabox's Facebook page, saying: "Here is where Megaupload was born and where Megabox is gonna be born."
He promises the new site will be "free, easy and legal".
Last month Dotcom said the new site was 90 percent finished. It's believed Megabox will include a music streaming service like Spotify, which will allow users to upload and sell their own music directly to fans.
Dotcom is currently facing extradition to the United States on a number of charges, including money laundering and piracy.