° °

Manslaughter charge after NZ boy shot in Fiji

Tuesday 29 Jan 2013 10:23 a.m.

This video has been archived. If you need to access it, please contact us
Share this story

A pilot has been charged with an arms offence after a New Zealand boy was shot dead in Fiji on Saturday.

Six-year-old Mohammed Khubeb Khan, from Auckland, was killed after being shot at a building site near Lautoka.

His 14-year-old cousin, Mohammed Nabil Khan, was reported to being a stable condition at Lautoka Hospital after also being shot in the same incident.

Fiji police said on Monday they were questioning a 10-year-old boy in relation to the incident.

A 34-year-old man, the owner of the gun used in the shooting, has been charged with contravening the Arms and Ammunition Act, according to the Fiji Broadcasting Corporation.

It said he was expected to appear in Lautoka Magistrates Court on Tuesday.

The dead boy's family were putting the final touches to a home they had been building in the Sabeto highlands when the incident took place.

A relative told the Fiji Times that the family was cleaning the building site when they heard the gunshot.

He said the boys were playing when the shooting occurred.

NZN

Share this story

Most popular

Trending