By Daniel Rutledge
James Cameron’s blue aliens continue to conquer the world one country at a time and today, they’ve taken New Zealand.
3D sci-fi spectacular Avatar has broken the record set by Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring and is now the highest grossing film ever at the New Zealand box office.
The film, which stars Sam Worthington, Sigourney Weaver and Zoe Saldana, has a total box office total to date in New Zealand of NZ$14,557,741.
Internationally, Avatar holds the record for worldwide box office gross with US$2.2 billion at the start of the week. US$600 million of that came from the North American box office, where it is also the highest grossing of all time.
The top ten highest grossing films ever at the New Zealand box office, to date, are as follows:
- Avatar, 2009, $14,557,741
- Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, 2001, $14,539,918
- Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, 2003, $13,590,979
- Titanic, 1997, $12,907,817
- Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, 2002, $12,080,995
- Shrek 2, 2004, $10,846,043
- King Kong, 2005, $8,961,096
- Chronicles of Narnia: Lion, Witch & Wardrobe, 2005, $8,453,091
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, 2009, $7,947,103
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, 2001, $7,776,658
source: newshub archive