'Disgraceful': Commentators rip into Comm Games organisers after runner collapses

Marathon spectators could only watch as Scottish runner Callum Hawkins collapsed from heat exhaustion just 2km from the finish line in men's race at the Commonwealth Games.

The 25-year-old was in the lead and looked to be assured a gold medal, but fell to the ground after appearing to lose control of his legs and falling into a gutter in the 30degC Gold Coast heat.

He got back up and kept on running for another couple of hundred metres before his legs buckled and he collapsed again, hitting his head on a roadside barrier.

With just the barrier between them, concerned onlookers sought to try and help the distressed Scot, but were advised not to.

duirng the Men's and Women's T54 marathon on day 11 of the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games at Southport Broadwater Parklands on April 15, 2018 on the Gold Coast, Australia.
Photo credit: Getty

According to a report, an official informed the spectators to leave Hawkins unattended.

They were under the impression that medical support was on its way, as well the race's rules that would have seen Hawkins disqualified if a member of the public aided him.

Hawkins lied there for several minutes before medical staff finally assisted him, but it was a case of too little, too late for the commentators.

BBC Sports commentator Steve Cram said it was "a disgrace" that it took so long for any paramedics to attend to Hawkins.

"I'm just concerned for his welfare," he said. "He hit his head on the barrier. I'm sorry if you're watching this at home, it's really distressing. He's going to hurt himself, and there's nobody anywhere near.

"We should have some more medical attention. This is a guy in real distress and someone needs to recognise it for his health at this point.

"Where on Earth is the help? You cannot just wait at the finish line. They've got radios. And finally, somebody arrives. I think it's disgraceful."

Australia's Michael Shelley would overtake the Scot to win the race in 2hr, 16m 46s.

Hawkins was eventually helped into an ambulance, and a statement from Team Scotland said he was "receiving medical treatment".