Iowa's 'monsters of metal' Slipknot are returning to New Zealand.
Anyone who has seen the heavy metallers live will attest to the fact it's not a show for the faint-hearted. For those yet to experience the chaos and carnage, here are five reasons why you don't want to miss the band's Vector Arena gig in October.
1. Forget the cutesy names you get for fan groups who adore Justin Bieber (Beliebers) and Lady Gaga (Little Monsters), die-hard followers of Slipknot are called Maggots. In 2011 percussionist Shawn 'Clown' Crahan told the Revolver website: "The reason why I named our fans maggots is because if you've ever watched maggots eat, they're absolutely beautiful in all senses of creation". We'll take your word on that one, Clown.
2. Slipknot struts around stage in terrifying rubber masks. The Clown mask is most definitely the most terrifying of all. The band also lets off enough pyrotechnics to sink the Titanic.
3. A guy called Billy took to an online blog to say he was attending not just his first Slipknot concert, but his first-ever live concert. He wanted to know what to expect. A helpful person replied: "I don't scream ever. But I was screaming then… I had never felt so happier in my entire life. Perfect show, aside from Corey [lead singer] blacking out at the end. Remains the greatest day of my life." That's an impressive review.
4. Front man Corey Taylor warned fans in an interview in 2014 that he'd dump water over anyone he saw fiddling with their mobile phones at a gig. "There was one poor girl… she wasn't being very covert about it… I emptied four bottles on her… she was just bummed for the rest of the night and I just kept shrugging at her going 'Hey, it's a live show. Pay attention. Or don't be here.' Kiwi Maggots who like fiddling with your phones -- you have been warned!
5. Slipknot frequently features in lists such as 'The Top 10 Loudest Bands Of All Time' alongside the likes of Iron Maiden, AC/DC and Metallica. There's something like eight members of the band and they make A LOT of noise, so if the Josh Groban concert was the last you attended at Vector Arena, this show probably isn't for you.
Slipknot will be at Vector Arena on October 26.