Prince died of an overdose of the opioid Fentanyl, his official autopsy results have revealed.
The 57-year-old pop legend died in April less than a week after receiving emergency medical treatment after a show. On that occasion it's believed he was given a shot of Narcan, an opioid antidote.
An initial autopsy was inconclusive.
The single-page report released by the Midwest Medican Examiner's Office says Prince's death came after he "self-administered Fentanyl", and was accidental.
Prince's death shocked friends, family and fans -- he had a reputation for clean living and had been a Jehovah's Witness for about 15 years.
Years of energetic performances had taken their toll on his body however, according to collaborator Sheila E, and there were claims he had painkiller Percocet in his system when he died.
He was scheduled to meet a doctor who specialised in opioid addiction the day after he died.