The AM Show host Mark Richardson has turned his scathing eye on the media, accusing journos of being "sanctimonious sheep".
- Opinion: The problem with Sky is it's just not very good
- Sky TV 'tone deaf' for hiring Tony Veitch - White Ribbon
"The papers have been annoying me, actually," he told his co-hosts Duncan Garner and Amanda Gillies.
"Our writing journos at the moment - if you can call them journos, and that's loosely - they just seem to be sheep, wandering around on a field of sanctimony."
It was a controversial statement.
"You do know, don't you, that you sit in a newsroom," Garner said.
"You're sitting next to two journos," Gillies replied.
Richardson was quick to point out he wasn't referring to Newshub.
- Newshub dominates 2017 New Zealand Television Awards
- Radio survey results best ever for MediaWorks overall listenership
"Newshub, fantastic... I'm not having a pop at our Newshub people," he exclaimed.
"Maybe someone differentiate yourself from the rest by writing something that's actually difficult to justify, then have a go at justifying it."
- South Islanders: 'shut up' about the weather - Mark Richardson
- Why Mark Richardson isn't celebrating Jacinda Ardern's first month as PM
But Richardson says he's not part of the industry he criticises.
"I'm not a journo," Richardson argued.
"I'm not a journo and I'm not part of the media, alright. So don't include me in this lot."